Communications Officer, July 2014-present
- Write, revise, and proofread digital and print content including newsletter stories, marketing materials,
executive correspondence, and website copy.
- Edit audio and video files and manage videography contracting.
- Help organize, staff, and live-tweet national conferences.
- Manage a website
and social media channels (Twitter feed,
of a public information campaign.
- Raised the profile of campaign channels to the top 0.1% of social media users discussing education,
colleges and universities, the humanities, and science and technology, according to Klout.
- Won with CIC colleagues two
gold EXCEL Awards for media innovation from Association Media & Publishing,
national recognition as a
top-50 grassroots campaign from Connectivity/ CQ Roll Call,
Silver Anvil finalist honors from the Public Relations Society of America.
Writer, Researcher, and Instuctor, August 2007-May 2014
- Edited the Writers Workshop
newsletter, interviewed subjects, wrote stories,
took photographs, and designed newsletter.
- Produced multimedia stories for the digital newsletter and
online archive of
the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Consulted with hundreds of students and researchers in all departments of the university to improve written work,
taught ten university-level courses, and organized and ran writing seminars.
- Presented research at nine conferences, helped coordinate conferences, and completed a book-length manuscript.
Staff Writer and Contributor, February 2013-September 2014
- Interviewed curators, librarians, and professors; researched historical and cultural topics.
- Published feature articles that made scholarship accessible to the public.
Other Relevant Experience
- Markus Wiener Publishers
Editorial Publishing Assistant
- University of Illinois Press
Production Publishing Assistant
- WEFT Community Radio
Radio Producer and Host
- WHYY National Public Radio
Radio Production Intern
Before finding my way to communications, I worked as a teacher and
traveled throughout Europe and the United States.
I lived in Rome, Italy; New York, New York; London, U.K.; Wroclaw, Poland;
Tucson, Arizona; Urbana, Illinois; and Plainsboro, New Jersey. I couldn't be more pleased to
return to my birthplace, Washington, DC, in 2014.
- BA in comparative literature, Dartmouth College
- MA in national and international literatures in English, Institute of English
Studies, University of London
- PhD in English, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign